All employers with a pay bill of over £3 million a year pay the Apprenticeship Levy (less than 2% of UK employers). Levy funds create opportunities to develop new skills and give employers control of their training budget.
In England, the government tops up employers’ levy with an extra 10%, paid directly to employers’ apprenticeship accounts. An employer’s pay bill is made up of the total amount of the employees’ earnings that are subject to Class 1 National Insurance contributions, such as:
- Pension contributions
Levy-paying organisations will pay 0.5% of their PAYE bill. The Levy can be reinvested in the organisation through apprenticeship training for new and/or existing staff.
Employers with a pay bill of less than £3 million a year are not required to pay the levy. At least 95% of non-levy-paying employers’ apprenticeship training and assessment costs in England are paid for by the Government. The Government asks these employers to make a 5% cash contribution to the cost which is paid directly to the training provider.
There is additional government support for small businesses. The 5% contribution is waived, and the Government pays 100% of the training costs. This applies to those employing an apprentice aged 16-18 or aged 19-24 with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).
All employers receive a £1,000 payment if they employ an apprentice who is:
- Aged 16-18 at the start of their apprenticeship
- Aged 19-24 and has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) provided by the local authority or has been in the care of a local authority.
To find out more about how the MIRA Technology Institute can help you with apprenticeships view our Employers’ Guide to Apprenticeships or contact us.
All levy-paying employers can transfer unused funding to other businesses including those in their supply chain.
- Work with current employer partners
- Contact other businesses in your industry
- Work with regional partners
You can transfer a maximum amount of 25% of your annual funds. You can transfer these funds from your apprenticeship account to as many employers as you like.
We work with a range of employers across a variety of sectors and can help you to:
- Effectively distribute your unused levy funding with other businesses in your supply chain and beyond
- Develop your CSR and contribute to your local jobs market
- Get registered on the Apprenticeship Service
Use our industry links to find the right business partners.