We have a range of free* online CPD course available. Discover more today!
This can be delivery either online or at the MTI – please contact us for further information.
This is a further half-day course and attendance on the basic awareness course is a prerequisite for attending this advanced course.
This course is aimed at engineers and technicians who are working on and modifying the electrical traction systems in electric or hybrid vehicles
The following subjects will be covered:
- A brief review of processes and terminology used with respect to electrical protection
- Brief review of typical electrical architectures and systems design for high voltage safety and high voltage fault management
- Basic principles for safe electrical working, to include: Risk assessments and Safe Systems of Work
- Permits to work: Personnel competence and qualification
- Use of personal protective equipment and appropriate tools
- Workshop safety practices; Isolation of electrical equipment before work
- Confirmation that electrical equipment is not live before work
- Testing procedures for ensuring electrical circuits are safe to work on and remain so until work is complete
Available resources e.g. HSE Publications. Safe working techniques in electric and hybrid vehicle testing, build and maintenance, to include:
- Handling and storage of high voltage components (specifically batteries)
- Vehicle or prototype build
- Testing – test procedures during build (e.g. confirming no high voltage present during assembly) and for testing of completed vehicles
- Crash testing and destructive component testing
- General maintenance procedures for electric and hybrid vehicles
- Rework or repair of electric and hybrid vehicles
- Disposal – of removed components during maintenance or end-of-life
- Practical demonstration of safe working techniques
- End-of-course test and issue of course completion certificate